Thursday, April 25, 2013

Nerd Girl Problem: Having to put down a great book...

I can TOTALLY relate to this...


One of the things I am most grateful to my parents for is the love of reading they instilled in us.  As I have shared with my husband over the years, there were afternoons on vacation where we would all be one room reading and the only sound would be the turning of pages.  To this day, we are all avid readers. 

I wanted to share two books that have come across my kindle recently.  (Point of information - I say kindle, as I do use it for reading, but my preference will ALWAYS be paper books!)  Even if you are not a working parent or a parent, these are AWESOME books.  I have a whole list of parenting books I love.  Comment below and I will happily send you my list. 

I hate when reviews use last names, as I always think I know an author well enough after reading their book that we are now friends. So, please do not think I am being disrespectful, quite the opposite.

Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg


This is THE business book to be discussing right now.  If you haven't at least checked it out on Wikipedia, you should.  I promise that you will seem much smarter in your next meeting. :o)  

Sheryl is a great writer and has had an amazing career.  I LOVED the first half.  I was facinated by her rise through the tech ranks at Facebook and Google, her tenacity and thoughtful approach.  I loved the stories about the beginnings of Facebook.  And I felt like I took away some great tips for shifting the way I approached my career. 

The second half felt like a mixture of repitition and condicention.  She talks a lot about managing family and work.  It's helpful, but I could not relate.  She has the financial means to hire help and pay for the best.  Not all of us have that experience.  I think it detracted from her message. 

Carry on Warrior by Glennon Doyle Melton
 

If you have not been to Momastary.com - go.  Stop reading this right now and click on the link.  Please come back when you are done, but I will warn you reading her posts might just drain your afternoon.  Glennon is amazing.  Her story is remarkable and her message is even better - Be YOU.  Be a truth teller and a hope spreader. 

Her book is really a collection of her blogs with some other information woven throughout.  I have read other bloggers books, but this one just struck me.  Perhaps it is her candor or honesty or the fact that her love just jumps off the page. 

The bottom line - I like this book because I felt like I could go back in at any moment and feel better when I put the book down.


My favorite reading buddy is my beautiful sister.  She has wonderful recommendations for all kinds of books.  I just love how smart she is and I would argue that reading just enhances her thoughtful brain. 

That is us, above, after going to the bookstore at midnight and staying up all night to read Harry Potter 7.  NO, we did not dress up, but we thought about it.   

Books are amazing.  They transport us to another world.  They give us wonderful topics of discussion and a chance to imagine a world beyond our own walls.

Happy reading, friends.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment