Thursday, May 2, 2013

Namaste -- The God in me sees the God in You

As MJT gets older and starts to grasp more concepts, I think a lot about the lessons I want to make certain we teach him.  When I was pregnant, and reading every parenting book I could find, I read something about the critical importance of teaching our children humility.  The author argued that we often want to teach our children confidence, but what really makes a successful person is humility.  I don't remember liking the rest of the book, but I did hold on to that line.  And I think about it often.  I've developed my version of that wish.

The lesson I hope to teach M is comfort in his own skin....

The knowledge that he has his own moral compass. 

That he is wonderful just as he is right now.

That his favorite color can be different from everyone else's.

That if he likes the guitar and everyone else is into skateboarding, play the guitar. 

That it doesn't matter what the kid with the cool bike or car or stereo says or what they want to do.  It matters what HE wants to do.

That there is only one MJT and whomever that person becomes, he is good enough for us and we love him. 

And with that comfort, that he can see the good in others.  And treat those who are different with respect and dignity.  And perhaps be that voice that says, that's not OK to watch when others are being hurt.  Because at the end of the day, it won't matter what the mean guys think of you - M will know the joy of knowing who he is.
...

Part of passing on that lesson, is finding comfort in my own skin.  At 37 I am much closer than was at 36.  And so I practice...  Namaste to you today.  The God in me sees the God in you.  And I love you, just as you are.

xo friends.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment